A lot of people have rhinoplasty, or a nose job, completed. In fact, it is one of the top cosmetic procedures performed the world over. Because of this, Dean Toriumi believes it is important people know the facts about this procedure. This will help them build realistic expectations, while at the same time ensuring the procedure is a success.
Dean Toriumi Explains what Happens During Rhinoplasty
- Only so much bone and/or cartilage can be removed. Too much would leave the skin without any shape, which can lead to so-called “polly beak”.
- The septum must all times remain properly supported, so that the nose’s bridge doesn’t sink, leading to so-called “saddle nose”.
- The cartilage on the nose’s tip cannot be resected too much, or it will look pinched.
- The nose’s tip cannot be lifted too much, or it will create very visible nostrils.
It is important to be aware of these limitations so that you can be realistic about the possible results. Rhinoplasty does not give you a completely new nose. Rather, it makes the best out of the nose that you have, leaving it more proportional to the rest of your face.
Other Things to Be Aware of
It is rare for things to go wrong during rhinoplasty, so long as you have chosen a good physician to complete the procedure. At the same time, it is a medical procedure, and all medical procedures carry risks. None of the situations described above should happen, however, as a good surgeon will avoid them at all costs. However, some risks do exist, including:
- The nose can become somewhat numb depending on how many incisions are made along the columella. This usually lasts for a few months.
- The formation of adhesions, which means scar tissue stops you from breathing properly. This must be surgically corrected after you have healed from rhinoplasty.
- An unexpected outcome in the aesthetic look of the nose itself. The final outcome is never 100% guaranteed, and you have to be realistic about that.
Dean Toriumi wants to make sure that the above does not scare people off having the procedure completed, however. In 99.9% of cases, the procedure goes by without any unwanted side effects, leaving people looking better than ever before. Those who have had a successful nose job, which is the vast majority of patients, end up feeling better about themselves and have increased self-esteem and self-confidence. Ultimately, that is the goal of all types of cosmetic procedures.
Finding a Good Surgeon
Toriumi believes that finding a good surgeon is reasonably easy, particularly thanks to the internet. It is all about doing your research, looking into the surgeon’s qualifications, registrations, and professional memberships. Additionally, good plastic surgeons welcome reviews from their past patients, and these should be easy to find. Many will also have before and after pictures on their websites and in files in their office. Finally, people should never book in for rhinoplasty without having visited the clinic themselves for a proper consultation.